Thursday 6 March 2008

So I went to a yarn store and...

I had to pick up some things at River City yesterday, and I heard voices again. Anyone who reads here a long time, will know what I hear when I stop by yarn stores. Yesterday I heard voices.


They have some really great new things in stock. Some Arequipa (colour 203, I do believe) found its way into my hand (socks for Mr. Needles), even when I tried not to go to that corner of the store. Its ok, I made it out of there without the Misti Alpaca Chunky in this wonderful rich lapis lazuli colour that has been trying to seduce me for weeks.


I heard other yarns calling me too. They have really good stock of Misti Alpaca Lace, and even harder to leave behind, some Misti Alpaca Suri Silk. It says this yarn "glides through your hands, sashaying over your needles, and draping softly into a project for your sensual delight" . I tell you, it didn't even have to be on needles for me to feel sensual delight.


You may want to consider only going into the Misti corner at your LYS on days when you feel particularly strong. Or when your wallet feels strong. Or when you need just a little something to take the edge off. Or when you are feeling blue. If you touch it, you will find a reason to need it. Considering all the lace I just picked up, I left it behind.


Which was probably a bad thing. I rewarded myself for leaving the Suri Silk alone with some Sisu Fantasy yarn, enough for a second pair of socks for Mr. Needles. And some other 'small' things we aren't even going to mention, though it might have something to do with some merino laceweight in teal. But its a really nice teal.


And then I got to what I really went for. I wanted to check out the Mission Falls 1824 Cotton. I made the last Calorimetry project with their 1824 Wool, and was deeply impressed, and I held high hopes for the cotton. Again I was impressed. First off, I was beguiled by one of the new Whirl colourways, Wheat. Its a beautiful blend of butter yellow, golden wheat, and a marvelous slate blue. In my head I saw a scarf, something light and airy but not too fancy, around my neck on cool summer morning walks.


4 skeins jumped into my hands (and 2 plain Maize skeins, just in case) and before I hit the hay last night, some really pleasing purposeful holes appeared (Do holes really appear?).
The picture isn't all that impressive, but in natural light, oh my, its fine.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

My LYS keeps the Misti Alpaca right by the cash - far too easy to add a couple skeins to the tally... I made simple ribbed handwarmers with the chunky - they were very well received!