Wednesday 5 March 2008

Layers of loveliness

The other day I stopped at my mail box and picked up the mail. There was a key for a parcel box. I opened the door with a little excitement and found...nothing. The box was empty.


Yesterday I had reason to go home at lunch so I stopped again to see if anything showed up. Ah ha, a parcel card. It said I could pick it up today after 1 p.m. curious. I thought I would stop at the post office to see if they had it, considering that originally, the post office person meant to deliver on Monday. I was in luck.



This is the second last in what has been my orgy of wool, my getting the stash to the level where I felt I had enough. One more stop...


If you believe this, can I sell you the Eiffel Tower?


This box was packed by someone who takes delight in colours. It was layers of colours.


The first layer was blue lace. Seeing that layer of blue, I know how how the end product is going to be displayed. But here in the box, it was like holding clouds in my hand. These are Knit Picks Shimmer, Alpaca Cloud, and Shadow.


The next layer was a layer of green and white lace. Funny, I could have sworn I made sure to get a photo of the glorious rich green there, but well, all you can see is the natural tones of this bare laceweight. (And yes this is for playing with. I mean to dye some things sometime) The green is Shadow, and the the other, Bare Merino Laceweight.


And then, peeling back the green and white layer, revealed the box's intense heart.


Brilliant tomato reds, and rich iron. It was such a pleasure to finally see the colours I had imagined them to be. The left is fingering weight Palette in Salsa Heather (I could eat this it looks so good), and the other to the right is Wool of the Andes Iron Ore.


All these yarns were purchased with projects in mind. They have a place and a job in the list of things. The last of the orgy of wool ordering also has a place and was purchased for very specific identifiable jobs. I mean who in their right mind would just purchase wool without having any idea of what that wool wants to be?


Don't answer that, but if you believe me, maybe I could sell you the Rocky Mountains.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

I love it when packers pack our yarn with such feeling. You just know they are knitters...

Karen said...

Those yarns look gorgeous, and i dont believe your orgy is over! I am a veteran of fabric orgies..I have been there!

Gina said...

That is a lot of yarn. I just love the colors. I want to roll in it!