Friday 31 August 2007

The end of Summer

If you live farther south, this might not be true for you, but here, the September long weekend marks the end of summer. It cools significantly at night. The sun just doesn't have the power to heat things up from its lowered arc in the sky, the days are already much shorter. If you didn't like fall it would be difficult to live in this country.

Thankfully I love fall. I love the smell in the air, the feel of the cool quiet as you walk your favourite paths. Its a time of settling, of taking stock, of quiet contemplation after spring and summers riotous growth.


We are off to Rock Lake. Hopefully it will be cold, rainy and generally yucky, because that means only the hardiest of souls will be in the campground, and they will be there as we are, waiting for the animals. I have many layers of clothing, and plenty of warm socks, so I will stay cozy. I have lots of warm projects to work on by the fire.

I am going to give the sweater a really big push. I hope to get both sleeves done, and I hope to get the last front done. Once those are done it takes no time at all to finish. There are still some challenges ahead. I've never finished a sweater with a zipper closure before, and I still have to decide what I want to do on the collar - small cabling in blue, or plain stitches in blue? I've taken along moms socks, and I have the bright yellow yarn in my bag to work on some simple socks for me, I have taken the lace.

This most of all I want to do. I really want to get my little lace project to the wrist. Once I do that, I want to start on the other one and get it to the same point. I have a fear that if I don't work it this way, I'm going to lose track of how I am doing decreases, and I'll end up with two very different end results. Its a good thing that the very fine needles came in a set of 5. I can begin with an end of yarn, on the other two needles, and off I go.

Anyway, I'll be busy, with that, with walks round the lake, needlework, and as always, an assortment of books.

3 comments:

Sally Comes Unraveled said...

It's still in the upper 90s here. I'll think about fall around Halloween.

Anonymous said...

Fall in the Pacific NW is not as spectacular as where I grew up back east. And since the summer is so short here, I really dread the signs of fall, which seem to start in August! Sometimes September has some hot, sunny days, but I already miss the light till 9 or 10 pm. I like spring better now.

mostlylurking

Unknown said...

The nights have cooled and the days are noticeably shorter. The wasps are busily buzzing. The kids are back to school. I, for one, have had enough heat and humidity to last a lifetime, so I shan't offer any complaints about this being the unofficial end to summer. Fall is one my favourite times of the year. Besides it gives one lots of excuses to stitch and stitch and stitch some more with out the distraction of summer time fun.