Thursday 30 August 2007

Swell yarn

When I was a kid, my mom and dad used to colour with us in our colouring books. Mom always did beautifully shaded and outlined work, and dad made all the girls dresses red. He used to say red dresses were swell.

This yarn might not be red but it sure is swell.

Blue Moon Socks That Rock, Alina (now discontinued - I'm wondering if there will be enough), medium weight. The true effect is so muted by the screen, the green tones are upped, and the blue softened, but well you know what I mean. Scrumptious. I had to fool for quite a while to get gauge, so this is the sum total of my evenings work, but I am absolutely thrilled so far. The pattern is forming these lovely ridges, with a chain looking stitch lying across the crest, made by crocheting in the back loop on one row. Its not really a difficult stitch pattern, but it is innovative in the way its put together. Or rather the way it isn't put together. Its all crocheted in one piece, side to side. I am going to enjoy this one, I can tell. Excuse me while I go sigh over the yarn now.

I love working with Blue Moon yarns. It too, is swell. It is simply the finest yarn anywhere. That does not even take into account the wondrous colours.

I worked on my warm sweater this morning, and completed the right front (or is it left?). The second front won't take long, and then sleeves. Maybe all the various parts will be close to completion after this weekend. I hope so. I really enjoy all the little things that lead to the point you can wear it. Even working in threads ranks high in my books as fun on occasion.

That might be taking it too far. The weekend is coming, I'll do a sanity check then.

2 comments:

Gina said...

I have yet to try Blue Moon...I think I may have to add that to my list.

I can't believe your "babies" are so tall. I can't imagine the days when my kids are as old as yours. Sometimes I can't get over they are 6 and 4. am sure it goes fast.

Sally Comes Unraveled said...

Are you using a particular pattern, or is it just a particular stitch?