Saturday 26 May 2007

Today's play

Today I worked at finishing last weeks projects.

I had a really great black dress afflicted with buttons up the front. I'm not fond of all the button uncertainty that comes with this kind of closing. Changes were in order. I removed the buttons, took the loops closures out, and then sewed a seam up the middle of the dress. To hide the new seam I crocheted a lace insertion that runs all the way to the hem.

The insertion looked good, but everything else was too plain. I made a narrow band in the same patterns as the insertion and added it to the neck edge. It looked good till I realized that, holy bosoms batman, the dress was low cut. How did I not notice this the first few times I tried it on? I crocheted a little panel to raise the neckline.
When the panel was on, I realized the narrow neck edge did not balance well against the the width of the lace insertion and the visual weight of lace panel.
I made a wider collar, and voila. Perfection.
Here is a little detail of the lace. A dress suitable for the office and no nasty buttons to worry about all day.

No comments: