Tuesday 29 May 2007

Socks!

We have socks! You will be thrilled to know that they fit!!! So.....

I am going to rip them back.

Yes, you heard it here. I am going to rip them back to where the split single begins. The stitch is slow and its kind of a pain to do, and I'm not really enjoying it. It is making a superior warm rich fabric except that it doesn't have a lot of give. Considering this is for feet with shapeshifting ability, I want the fabric to be stretchy. I want the fabric to surround the feet so the feet say ' hey, that's nice. I'd like to rub a little closer to that.' I want those feet to snuggle up to the yarn, rather than shrinking and making the sock appear too big. You have to be very tricky with this particular set of feet.

There is also the little part where I will run out of yarn if I keep on, in this stitch. I'm going back to the single row and v stitch rows, repeating, that I first tried with this sock yarn, for the foot. I figure that I will run out by the time I get to the toe. I'll counter this with some Jawoll Sock yarn (scroll down the page to see it) which just happens to match reasonably well. They are both superwash.

As you can see though, this Trekking XXL yarn is doing a really nice striping effect, even though the stitches are double crochets on the leg.
With the single crochet/v-stitch pattern, the striping will be more pronounced.

Crochet takes more yarn than knitting, by about 25%, and manufacturers build their yarns for knitting. You should be able to get away with 1 skein if you are making a small ladies sock, but anything more and you will need just a wee bit more than one skein . Had I known then what I know now...I'd have bought 2 skeins.

It all goes back to that reading the pattern problem I have.

No comments: