Tuesday, 28 July 2026

Felted wool

More not normal knitting.  Again!  

Old sweaters.  What to do with them?  When a sweater is worn out or I am bored with it, my usual treatment is to felt it.  I usually cut it into squares of various sizes depending how I will use those felted squares.  They make great hot pads and coasters.  The last batch of old sweaters had no specific use planned though I was leaning to using them together for a blanket.  I cut squares of various sizes to get the most fabric out of the garments.  

And they sat for months.  Which I'm glad for now.  I could use some chair pads to make life more comfortable.  I made a small one a few weeks ago to alleviate some pressure on one spot, and it has made a real difference.  Maybe wool chair pads are the answer and that's what I am using all these squares for.  



I start with larger squares and make a well sewn together base.  Then I layer 


smaller shapes on top.  They get sewn on and are attached on all sides.  You can see there is a bit left to do on the center square.  I would like to knit a nicer looking top layer and have stash yarn in mind to do it with.  In general though, I just need a good thick wool pad.

That's the woolly stuff I have been doing lately.  It's not much but it will make a big difference in my life.  

I do have some fun stuff too.  Remember how I spoke of spending time looking at stitch markers and progress keepers?  I said I was going to make my own?  Ha.




I fell for some from an Ontario maker.  Cupcake cuteness and stones.  They aren't stones, just acrylic or resin faux stones.  But they are a reminder of so much of my life with Brian.  There is beauty in all the small things including ordinary stones.  Thse would be more than ordinary if they were real but as a stitch marker, these are the perfect weight.  It's just what I was looking for.  

There is so much to do today.  In the heat things have seemed to pile up.  Oh well.  One chore at a time and it will get done.



No comments: