Thursday 20 June 2024

The Perfect Sort of Morning

That hot coffee of yesterday went with me, straight to the sewing room and we got down to work.  

Because I had sewed the main skirt part together for a fit test, doing the waistband and the closures took longer and were fussier to finish than it would normally have been.  It isn't perfect but it is done and fits wonderfully.




There  is the right amount of ease at the waist no matter how I move.  The top is smooth and even with none of the bulk of my gathered or pleated skirts, but it fits nicely over the widely divergent measurements of my waist and hip.  I still had to hem it but my eyes were done by the time I had the waist band stuff finished.  I sewed on buttons and called it good for the day.

I wanted to get everything done but the hem on purpose.  I want to wear it for a few hors and see just how it works.  It is such a different skirt shape for me and it is completely self drafted so it is a gamble.  There is going to be a perfect length and I want to find it.  I already have a couple things in my closet that suffer being a wee bit too short or a wee bit too narrow in the cut of the skirt to be worn with complete confidence.  It doesn't mean I don't wear them.  It just means they are worn on days when I know I am alone and not going anywhere.  

I did not do any knitting yesterday.  I could feel my thumbs.  They did not hurt, not a bit but I was  conscious of them in a way that was odd.  Weird in fact.  It felt like a rest day was a good idea.  

It is a glorious morning.  One of those prairie perfect clear crisp mornings.  There is no wind and the sky is perfectly clear.  You need a sweater, but the air is clean and pure and it makes you want to twirl in a half circle skirt way.  The birds are singing and the dog walkers are out and the day is awakening slowly in this small town.

So, skirt on, coffee on and  knitting to hand.  It is the perfect sort of morning.      

No comments: