Thursday 25 January 2024

There Was Knitting

After a really great day of knitting, I expected another great day of knitting.  It was not to be.  Changeable weather or perhaps knitting too much the day before meant my hands were iffy, but I also felt jumpy and unsettled. 

I started the day knitting on my Linger sweater.  It suited my mood and I would love to see this sweater completed. 

I did a couple rows and found it just a wee bit hard on my hands.  Two rows of progress was all that I managed.  Still, if I can manage two rows a day, it won't take long.  It is kind of fun to knit in this chunky weight for the progress, even if it is hard on my hands.

Then I pulled out Utkiek to work on.  The Lett Lopi is so light that knitting is a joy.  It was time to start the next colour and texture and once again, the pattern was a struggle for no good reason other than my mind was not cooperating.  This is what happened this morning.


Lett Lopi is lovely if you have to unravel.  It must be the stickiest yarn on earth.  When the stitches are off the needle, you can be pretty sure that with reasonably careful handling, nothing will drop out of place.  That is my experience anyway.  

I think the stitch pattern got turned around in my head and left me with the uncomfortable feeling that my whole world was inside out. When that happens with things, it can be a real challenge to flip it back so I called uncle and as the pattern says, if you don't like a particular stitch pattern, others can be substituted.  I picked the Sand Stitch from Barbara Walker's Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns.  It looks fairly similar and without slipped stitches, will be much simpler to knit.  

The rest of the day was spent knitting on my socks.  

There will be a finished sock soon , possibly today, which is eleven months earlier than I finished the first pair last year. There is hope for my sock drawer yet.  

There was knitting and that makes me intensely happy.

No comments: