Wednesday 27 September 2023

Something New

I was watching Annijuuti Knits on Youtube and she vlogged about a challenge she is following among Finnish Youtubers where you cast on one new thing each day for a week.  It was interesting watching her choices and reasoning behind all seven of her new projects.  

It made me think about starting something new for no reason.  I was swept along with her enthusiasm and I was feeling a bit jealous.  Five year old innner me felt she got to start new things.  Why couldn't I?   More adultier me did not really want to start something new.  I finally feel like I am making progress on the Mid Knit Cravings Pesto and Kelp sweater and Carter's blanket is moving along nicely too.  I have more than enough WIPs on the go to feed every sort of knitting mood.  I do not need more WIPs.  And yet...

  I decided to deal with the urge by casting on a small project that I do need and not just a pair of socks. 

For the last several years, I have been wearing wrist warmers to bed at night.  They really help keep my hands working well.  They cannot make the emerging arthritic joints go away completely, but they really do help them feel less stiff and spongy.  My last pair


 was a really successful project and I have worn them almost every night since February of 2022.  I always meant to make a pair with longer cuffs so that more of my forearm would be covered.  I wanted them longer over my knuckles too.    Casting on wrist warmers isn't a want, it is an almost urgent need as fall has us more firmly in her grasp.

By the time I talked myself into casting on, it seemed reasonable.  I had the yarn in my WIPs bin. It seems it never was put away.  (So much for my ability to clean out my WIPs bin.)  My favourite pair of dpns were free.  What's to stop me. 

And away I went.


I am just about to make a two row red stripe before I knit more of the charcoal and white marl.  The hand will once again be full red and it will be finished off to match the cuff.  

It isn't a fancy sort of piece.  It is a workman like piece and it reminds me fondly of knitting sock monkeys and Sock Monkey Cabin Blankets.  Which reminds me of the Sock Monkey Cabin Blanket that is on my 10 mm needles and needs to be completed, which reminds me of Carter's blanket and one for his cousin Jane and Marcus' blanket and something for Cassie too.  

I gotta go knit now.

No comments: