Wednesday 20 September 2023

Bygones

This was our supper last night.  Beans with soy sauce, a very fine pork loin, BBQd to perfection, and a baked potato of almost beach ball proportions.  That may be an exaggeration but it was large.  Very large.  Keith got them from the pharmacist we use in Vegreville.  The pharmacist had a very prolific garden this year, particularly root vegetables, and was giving them away to his customers.  No doubt at all that his modern home has no cold store.  


Sadly the custom of cold stores for garden produce has disappeared. Time was when every backyard supported much of the vegetable consumption of a family for most of the year.  But as women went to work, gardens disappeared as did cold stores.  There are a few around, remnants of bygone times.  Anthony's house has one. 

There are remnants of the past that we really ought to have in every modern home, like ceiling lights in  living rooms such as we have here in Keith's house where I live.  I love, love love that light.  As the daylight hours shorten here, that strong clear light in the middle of the living room ceiling gives me many more hours of low eyestrain work time.  It isn't enough for needlework, but for knitting?  It is perfect.

I worked on the Midknit Cravings sweater yesterday.  I have a few rows left (6 - 8) before I start the hem finishing in the oh so lovely Kelp Forest.  I cannot tell you how much i am enjoying  working this.  You really ought to try some MidKnit Cravings yarn yourself.  It is such a treat.

As to Carter's blanket, I ended up straining my hand more than I was happy with.  I think I will change to a larger needle to ease thee tension.  Knitting with a needle to small for the yarn is so much harder on my hands and I purposely picked a needle one size smaller to keep crisper lines for the pattern.  I will give that up and go with 8 mm needles and less crisp lines for the sake of my hands. 

No comments: