Wednesday 23 August 2023

Challenges and Choices

I had a wonderful time yesterday.  I knit the whole day away and ended up with this.



It doesn't look like much, but it was so much fun.

I had finished the garter stitch collar band and had completed the first lozenge pattern when I looked at the pattern pictures and noticed that the main colour on the pattern was supposed to be the field inside the little lozenges and the accent colour was on the ridges and slip stitches that divide the field into lozenges.  Mine was the other way around.  I checked my first knit of this pattern, 


 and found that the main colour was the field of the lozenges.  I really liked that sweater, so I pulled back the first completed set of lozenges and did the colours the other way around, to match the pattern.  I knit a second time to the end of the first set of lozenges.

I did not like it.  There are yellow sections and some creamy white sections in the yarn


and though the contrast of the colours is what you notice, the sections of those two light colours happens just often enough that as I was knitting the slip stitches and ridges, they would simply disappear into the yellow at the base of the lozenges.  The lozenges lost their punch, fatal on a garment whose whole decorative base is the offset between lozenge and framing.  

It took thirty seconds to decide to rip back.  AGAIN.  It made me happy to reknit the whole thing with my brilliant Sun Yellow main colour carrying over the little lozenges of Prairie Storm accent colour. 

I am really pleased with the way it looks.

I am so glad that I faced the challenge and that I did that knitting because if I had not tried, the question of would it have looked better with the colours flipped, would have been in my head each time I wore it.  Now I know my start was right and can move forward, just enjoying the knit with confidence.  I look forward to simply enjoying the colours.

No knitting now, though. I have to go and finish pants and start a skirt which I did not get to yesterday.  It just did not fit into my day.  Sewing a new pants pattern and skirt pattern is my challenge de jour.

No comments: