Thursday 3 August 2023

A Mixed Bag of Work

It was time to give my hands a rest and that is what I did.  I picked up my sweater, based on Laura Aylor's  Sun Dogs.    I love the lighter weight of the yarn after all the oversize stuff.  It is so wonderfully soft in an entirely different way.  I am making significant changes to the pattern, 


but that is because I really wanted a top with a high collar to ward chills off the back of my neck.  I was also having trouble sorting out my size the first time I tried knitting the pattern (brain fog last fall) and when I restarted I wasn't quite ready to see if I could do it right this time, so I restarted with a contiguous fit.  I hope it works.  

I have another chance to play with this kind of modified round yoke because I am restarting the green Fleece Artist sock yarn Breezeway also by Laura Aylor.  It is the same general construction as Sun Dogs without the interesting details and so far it is going well, though I haven't put much work into it yet.

At the end of the day I found myself sorting out my pin loom squares that I am making from leftover sock yarns.  I was looking at my WIPs listed on Ravelry and realized that I had never listed the project.  


It was time to do that.  It also gave me a chance to see just how much territory the little squares covered so I had an idea of just how far along I was.  At this point, I think about a third done.  I want it to be a nice lap blanket size, big enough that it could be folded and thrown comfortably around my shoulders.


I took the opportunity to take photos as well.  This is not at all a plan for laying them out, just a quick toss of squares on the cushion.  I won't make a layout plan till I am actually ready to put them together.  Colour decisions can't happen till then.


I am not really playing with colour, merely grabbing a ball from the bits and ends bags and working with that till it is gone.  

Playing with the little loom reminds me that I need dishcloths, which I am making on the larger Pin Loom I have from Kiss Looms on Etsy.  I purchased a ten inch loom and while that is a great size for me, if you were thinking of trying one, consider the size of your cloth.  Once it is well laundered and used, the cloth is just less than 8 inches wide.  I am comfortable with that size but most of you would like slightly larger cloths.  

I really like how the pin loom dishcloths work though.  They have all the advantages of knit or crocheted cotton cloths but make a thinner fabric that is really nice.  I am very pleased with what I can produce.

I might be working on cloths today of one size or another.  My hands would like a second day of rest and I am also running out of the multi colour yarn so I am going to have to make a trip to the store to before work on Isaac's blanket can continue.  

No comments: