Friday 23 September 2022

Pink

I got a giant parcel the other day from the fabric store.  It was large because I ordered a proper cushion for my chair and some other reupholstery supplies.  While I was getting the things I needed for that work, I decided to take a look at the fabrics I had been avoiding that.  I really have enough of that already but...well...there is always that thing you do not have.

This is the time of year when the buy 1 get 2 free wall can be a bit bare, so I was looking at a filter they called shirting.  It is everything that will make perfect shirts right down to a men's dress shirt.  It isn't only for guys, as the little bees kids fabric attested to and this time I found some more buffalo plaids.

I love plaids,  I always have but Brian wasn't a plaid person, or a print person and somewhere, subconsciously, I tended to avoid what he did not like.  Silly me.  They had some plaids there with a really great price on them, so I got one of my personal favourites, red and black.  


I bought it thinking of shirts but you know what?  Maybe a dress.  Wouldn't this be the most wonderful plain dress?  I think so and as I folded the fabric after giving it a wash, just fell in love with the idea.  Warmth and the ultimate comfort and ease.  

Then I changed the filter to filter for colour and looked only for pink fabrics.  I found a really lovely piece of  double gauze in a nice quiet but very pastel pink.



 If Cassie isn't game for it, then I guess I will be going pastel for at least one shirt.  Or maybe, just maybe, heaven willing, something for a baby coming in January.

And then I spotted it.  in pink.  So not my usual but it was exactly what I had been looking for for months.  Jess from Muna and Broad talked about a favourite pair of pants made in a pink fine wale courduroy and that took me into thinking about corduroy in general.  I know people make fun of it but a fine whale is lovely and warm and I am all about the warm.  The pink is a bit of a departure, but Cassie might like this pink for a dress/jumper/pinafore she liked. For me, this says shirt that lives it's life as a jacket.


 
I put the pink double gauze alongside so you could see its proper colour, a lovely warm rose rather than a pink.  I ordered a lot so no matter what Cassie wants to make and what I want to make there is lots of fabric to do it.  All in a bundle, it must weigh ten pounds.  It is heavy and warm and I think I am really going to enjoy whatever it becomes.  

I am trying to not go the the fabric store.  Looking online might be more dangerous than live shopping ever was because live, you are a bit limited by what you can carry to the cutting table while still leaving room for the cutting person to cut.  I don't have to carry it here, not even from the post office.  I have a saint for a roommate. 

I ought to be ready for sewing again next week.  There has been some other new to do stuff going on around here and I needed to get that established before I did anything else.  But summer is done and fall is here and warm things are on my mind. 

And specially for anyone who needs and wants to learn about stepping out of our comfort zone, I present Pink, who is layers and layers and layers, but no matter what layer you listen to, it is something special.



Step outside your boundaries,  Go coduroy.  

No comments: