Wednesday 20 October 2021

A sweater I love and a neckline I hate, day 2

So it us day 2 and I almost forgot about this one.

I have a long post to write but all the pictures are out on the tablet.  And without the tablet, the post is impossible to write.

So this shall have to suffice till I can insert and explain.  If you see Pictures the post is ready!

It has to do with a sweater I love and a neckline I hate.  I set out to change that..  

The problem with the neckline was that when I knit the sweater, I did not leave enough of a front neck dip for my neck.  When I wore it, the collar band would pouch the fabric below out and away making this awful bubble of fabric.  It bugged me when I wore it and it was time to change it. 

First things first, remove the neck band.  This already was a second neckband that I had hoped would fix the problem.  It took forever to pull out the band with all its tiny woven in ends.


Once that was done, it was time to make the cut before I chickened out.


Somewhere between pulling off the neckband and the next morning, I realized the sensible way to deal with the edge here, was to felt it.  I have no idea why I didn't think of it when I fixed it last time.  It would have made my work now much easier.



When things seemed to be sturdy enough to hold the fabric edge, it was time to sort out the edge and see if the new v shape was large enough to do what I wanted.  I took a really long needles and picked up prospective stitches to hold everything till I was ready to knit.  I am leaving the edge as is but might go back after I wash it and felt it a wee bit more.  Over time, it will take care of itself though, just from normal wear.



I took out my cream sweater that I knit just after I knit this one.  It had a v neck and I love, love love it.  I measured the edge of the knitting to see if it was about the same.  A wee bit deeper but that was okay.  Good to go, I thought.


So I blindly cast on, hoping that it wouldn't be too many stitches. I could have done maybe three less on the long sides of the v, but it really is good enough.  


It needs to be washed to relax the new knitting before I can judge it fairly and for now, this is great.  The sweater itself is newly washed so it will be well worn before I wash it again in a few weeks.



This sweater, along with the cream one, are my basic sturdy sweaters.  The yarn is sturdy and soft and oh so wonderfully warm.  I just love wearing them and now, I am going to love this particular one even more.

No comments: