Thursday 5 August 2021

Cherry Red

The pants are wonderful...but

You knew that was going to happen, right?  The fa bric is everything I hoped they would be.  They are hammed, they drape and look wonderful but for one thing.  They do not stay up properly.  the weight of the fabric pulls them down.  It needs a heavier, wider elastic which I have on hand and it is probably going to need a slightly modified waist band.  

First go, I made a simple casing band and ran the elastic through.  Would have been fine, but for the weight of the fabric.  This time, I am going to pull out the fabric I used for the facings on the top and make a proper decently wide interlined waist band and will use a much sturdier elastic. 

I am not sure if it will be visible as in the whole thing will be this alternate material, a solid black, or if it will be just the inside.  I am kind of leaning to doing the whole band and then finishing it off with a kind of tie look decoration.  I know.  It is an odd thing to think of when you have dressed so plain for so long but this is a peppy fabric and I am inspired.  

I might also shorten the pants.  They are great at the length they are but it almost looks skirtlike  so I think I could do mid calf and still have it look great.  

That will be the job for a bit later.  I want to get the cherry red polka dot dress going first.  There are facings and sleeve bands to sew.  Then to attach them together and before you blink, the top of the dress is done.   Once that is complete, only the skirt remains.  I have a feeling that the skirt will be shorter than the other dress, perhaps even down to tunic length.  I would wear that year round where a dress is really more about being fresh and cool.  

Any way somehwere in the day, I do hope to get to cut out some tops, but before all of this, I have some jam to make.  The cherries were good this year.  Keith waterd them with the water from the spring under the house and with no rain in blooming time and lots of sun since, we have a bumper crop.  

Mmmm cherry pie. Mmmm Cherry red dress. The weird thing is I don't even have to look hard to find yarn that colour either. Just a quick glance to the side will do. Mmmm cherry red yarn.   Pretty good no matter which way I go today.

No comments: