Tuesday 31 August 2021

Chattering on.

The last time I looked seriously at sewing time, for myself that is, I was pretty sure that I had everything I needed or wanted for my fall and winter sewing.  

I do kind of.  I have about ten metres of this fantastic Bullet Knit fabric that is textured and has just made the most versatile and comfortable slim fitting pants that could be leggings.  I wanted losts of that because its is just a great fabric.

I have a navy gabardine for a toile fabric for my some Winslow culottes/pants.

I have a really nice green cotton twill for overalls.

I have a great piece of denim but that is for a dress, so I am not using it for pants.  

I have a couple other dressier fabrics for Birchgrove pants, a more fitted leg pant than any of their previous versions, including a really really nice tencel.

What I did not have was for more warm winter pants.  I have one pair made from some good old fashioned heavy jogging fleece and I really do think these will get a lot of wear this winter.  Lots. I want one more pair in my arsenal.  

I ordered that and some more Ima-Gine Cotton Spandex for long sleeved shirts for under sweaters and other shirts and possibly a camisole or two.  It is a good heavy weight cotton and seems too endure almost anything.  It washes really well and always just looks good.  

I was buying pretty carefully.  The Ima-Gine Knit and the fleece were both over twenty five dollars a metre.  Not cheap by any means.  If I could buy pants as that fit decently, I would end up paying pretty much the same things as what making them for myself would cost.   Then I made a beginner mistake.  

I thought I could control it.  I thought I had it in hand.  But I ended up finding a really nice checked fabric, big white and black checks in a nice warm flannel and I needed it.  It was in the buy one, get two free sale so again, twenty bucks for a great shirt.  And there was another, a blue and yellow traditional plaid on the same page, that honestly, for the price, how could I leave it behind.  Under 6 dollars a metre?  I am never allowed to go to the buy one, get two free sale again.  Never, or until I find something that is a good accident.

Then I went over to Muna and Broad.  I have occasionally looked at their Huon shirt.  I keep wondering if that neckline could be adapted to a kind of tiny pleats in place of the gathers.  Maybe for the blue plaid as a test muslin?

Wouldn't you know it.  They have a new shirt design out with a fitted sleeve that still keeps their overall design sensibility of comfortable serviceable, wearable garments.  Check it out.  It is the Tarawi Shirt  .  And, lo and behold if Jess isn't modeling a boldly checked black and white shirt.  Ha. Any feelings of guilt that may have been creeping at the edges about my shirt fabrics are just gone.  This was meant to be.  So Tarawi and Huon came home with me.

Today is my last day with the kids.  By suppertime, they will be home with mom and dad and they will be bouncing all ready for going back to school.  They are so looking forward to seeing friends and their chatting between themselves shows that they love who their teachers are and can't wait to wave at Mrs.  Seacrest who taught both of them grade one.  

September means back to the usual, back to routine, for me too.  Still I am really going to miss my wee folk.  I am going to miss them a lot.  But not going to miss the goo and the mess.  Not at all.  Looking forward to the simple comfort of my own messes for a change.  And soup.  Looking forward to good warm soup.    


No comments: