Monday 10 May 2021

So what else was in the big box?

I left a hint of this next post on the blanket bingo post just for fun.  Make no mistake, that box was full.  The first thing I did, even before I completed blankets was to put the yarn leftovers away as I no longer needed them.  They went into the acyrlic box in my study.  All that remains of acrylics here is these tiny scraps and I think they are expendable.


So what was in that box?  Well, first up, the Shetland Shawl.



It lives in a very large ziploc and it shall remain there until it is finished.  When it is finished, it will be able to live in a slightly smaller ziploc, but for now, for ease of getting it in and out as I work on it, the big bag is it.  This is the only project that will live outside my WIP bins.  I have decided it will be so and it will be so.

There was also a bag of yarn for actual itty bitty sock monkeys.  


And yes, a stray thought did cross my mind for a fleeting second.  I wondered just how big of a blanket that bag would make.  And then I told myself that no.  No you were not going there, not ever, don't even dream it.  Treacherous thing, my mind.  And my sock blockers.  So that is where they went.  

And my lovely linen.  


Hmmm.  I have to go back and dig out my tester to see what I was planning for this.  I think I remember.  But, since I am not knitting it at the moment, I will put it in my inspiration cabinet.  I have a different sweater on the go for summer at the moment and I will finish that first.

And this pretty yarn.


I had started a thing, but that thing is no longer what I see when I look at it, but I did think of another thing  that will be stunning so I just have to dig out a wee bit of something to hold along with the fingering weight so it all matches with the DK weight of the Tupa silk and wool. I have a really strong urge to find what I need to start this project, but no.  I need to finish at least one more thing before I can start anything.

And last but not least, the bag of sock yarns.  These are all socks on the go, just two pair at the moment, plus the yarns for the Neapolitan Ice Cream Socks from Operation Sock Drawer.


Today is the day that big box will be emptied and gone.  It's been over a year and while it seemed to have solved a problem I was having, it actually did not.  All it did was delay the recognition that I was not happy with the state of things and the beginning of doing something about it.  The need for order becomes stronger till it almost becomes almost an obsession, an obsession I can't resolve until I deal with the root of the thing.  

The big box wasn't the root of it, but it was part of not dealing with it. It is a huge personal victory to finally deal with the big box.  

It is a really good box.  Sturdy, strong.  The highly motivated among you might say it would be a great toy box and even worth covering with pretty fabric.  I'm still getting rid of it.  

No comments: