Tuesday 9 March 2021

It is the Little Things

It is the little things this morning that strike my eye, like a particular combination of blue and green in my socks and the scent of that first little shot of coffee as it comes out from the coffeemaker.  

I have been doing a whole lot of nothing these past few days.  A desultory bit of knitting with my morning coffee and a quick row after supper seems to be about all I can turn out.  This vest is not the quick one week project it was supposed to be.  Some of this slowness with knitting has been from aching hands. Whatever weather system we are in right now, high, low or inbetween, it is the ones my hands do not like so much. If I really get down to it, I haven't been wearing the long wristwarmers at night, only little shorties and my sleeves have been of the shorter variety the last few days.  This probably plays part in how my hands are doing.  As I wrote this, I did slip on my day time cuffs,


 shaggy and ratty looking as they are.  They do the job of keeping my pulse points warmer when I am not wearing long sleeves.  It does seem to make a difference.  

These are made of some really straggler ends of some Mission Falls 1854 Wool from a mitten kit I bought years ago.  A superwash yarn is really perfect for this because these do get washed a lot.  They also get wet occasionally through the day.  They need to be tough.  I could used a few more sets and I know just the yarn to use for them but that is for another day.

Today will be attending to the vest and with a wee bit of endurance and gumption, finishing said vest. No way will I be able to get the neck and armbands knit today, but I may just squeek out the last six inches of the back.  If I can get the back done, I will feel like I finished!!?

The sewing continues here.  I seem to have sorted a bit of routine for that.  I knit or pretend to in the mornings and sew in the afternoons.  This afternoons task is going to be putting together two blouse patterns.  I print the pdfs out at home so it is all pieces of paper that must then be assembled.  It isn't difficult but it takes a bit of time.  I am expecting this to be slow today, bcause while I can just cut out the pants now, I don't really have measurments for my torso so I haven't even printed the patterns yet.  I have no idea what size I really need for a good fit in the shoulders.  You would think I would with knitting sweaters, but woven and knit fabrics are two very different creatures.  They need different ease.  

It is all an adventure isn't it?  An exploration of shape and form and how to get to what I need and even more amazingly, what I want.  There is nothing that makes me happier than being able to choose what I want for clothing myself rather than purchasing what is there.  That would be a third amazing little thing for the morning.  

So colour, coffee, and choice.  That is really a most amazing set of little things to find in a day. 


No comments: