Thursday 17 December 2020

Epic Days are Done.

The days of Epic are done.  I only need normal now.




I used the fifth skein of grey for four rows only before switching to the double cream.  

The best part of all of this is that I have knit this same edging five times already and I know it takes two days if I press hard and three if I knit normally.  I can start knitting normally again. I. Can.  Be.  Normal.  bahahaha   

I can start thinking about shawls and lace, like my beautiful Shetland  and my lovely warm sweater.  I can knit the things inside the WIP bins that I still love and I do still love all of them.  Well almost all.  I can knit sweaters for me to replenish my sweater chest.  I can knit for need and get ready for foolish fun knitting of shawls that are planned for after Christmas.  I can start planning my summer top knitting.  I can have time to sew more pants so that I can at least have one lazy day away from laundry cycles.  Seven pairs of pants are just not enough and no.  Counting my pajama pants as pants isn't really helping.

I can get into Christmas baking.  We are staying home as needs and duty requires so the baking doesn't have to be far ahead, but can and will be an ongoing fun thing to keep busy with.  There isn't any reason not to make a batch of cookies for the day and eat them!  I've never looked at Christmas baking like that before.  I have always followed my moms house full of kids plan of bake lots and get it over with so you can have a rest once Chrismas arrives and they can eat as much as they want.  Filling the freezer was her goal.  The landlord is fully supporting this ongoing effort of steady baking.  After all he shall reap what he sows so to speak.  

So  why do I feel just a tad down this morning?  It could be a pre finishing a big project mental slump.  It could be Christmas is coming and I am ready, or will be after the landlord picks up the mail today.  I think all the rest of everyone else's gift things are in the mail today as well as some of the things I am treating myself with this year.  It could be that I miss my kiddies.  I miss the noise and I miss the hugs and I miss the silly jokes and even squabbling, but that last, just a little.  I just plain old miss them. And there isn't anything I can do to change that.  Plus, I miss my mom and dad too.  I don't always get there over the holidays but at least it was a choice.  It is a choice now too, I suppose but just not one I make freely and just because.  Now the choice is that by staying away, I limit their exposure and stop them from me being the cause of their getting sick.

I know that I am not the only person missing someone or something.  Most of us will.  But I want that bunch of people I love so much to stay strong and healthy and be there for next year, when maybe, just maybe we all will have a vaccine, where the virus itself will have mutated and minimised itself as a health threat and when we can all celebrate in a more usual way and where we will be grateful that we made it through.  

No comments: