Thursday 26 November 2020

Meterage

The blanket is fair zipping along.  My hand, my left hand, finally feels strong enough to work without taping my fingers together, so I worked heartily on the blanket and guess what.  I have moved on to ball number two!


 

I love the way it is looking.  While I was leary of the denim heather when I started, I love the way it looks now.  

Fay asked a question about the yarn, so I will try and answer.  The yarn I am using for this blanket is Red Heart Comfort.  454 grams and 792 metres.  If I was knitting only the pattern size in this yarn, I would be able to get the blanket from one ball of the dark colour of this yarn and two of the cream/white and a wee little bit of a red worsted yarn.  All the yarns are held double stranded.  

Because my first blanket was a bit larger than the pattern, I used two full balls of Comfort in cream, a full ball and about 150 metres of a second ball of charcoal.  And the red, which so charms me.  This second Sock Monkey Cabin version is even wider, so I expect to use about a third to a half of the second ball of denim heather and about one third of cream giant ball o' yarn number three.


The pattern calls for Bernat Super Value yarn, which is a very, very close to the same yarn in 197 gram, 389 metre balls.  The pattern calls for two balls in a dark colour of the Bernat yarn, 4 balls of cream/white and one of red.

You do have to be careful because sometimes, yarn gets weird. Yes even acrylic yarns, which are not my most favourite yarns for garments but are the exact right thing for blankets.

I have some white for my Friesland blanket to match what Marcus picked.  It is a Red Heart Super Saver in a skein of 198 grams and 333 metres.  


And the dark grey for Amy and Scott's Sock Monkey Cabin Blanket is a Red Heart Super Saver  141 gram 215 metre ball.  For their blanket, I have six of the small super saver in the dark grey heather.  That should be just enough if I make it 150 stitches wide but it was too close for comfort if I make it 180 stitches wide.  I have two more skeins on order for a total of 8 skeins.  

Red Heart Super Saver.  Exact same name on the ball but very different skeins.  One is made in Turkey and the other in the US.  Not sure if that is the difference but do take care.  You always need to know exactly what is in the ball you are purchasing.  

I always check because you never know when a line of yarn changes their put up.  Sometimes even the yarn for that line changes a bit, as Kroy sock yarn did, moving to be a very slightly thicker sock yarn, so the current skeins now have slightly fewer metres.   

When I first started working at the yarn store, I was told to always always check the meterage of the yarn called for in the pattern.  Meterage never fails.  

Any way, it is time to knit.  Hope this helps, Fay.  

No comments: