Monday 30 November 2020

Balance

It feels like I didn't knit anything at all, but this blanket is really funny that way.  Today is precisely 30 days since I started it and it feels like very little time has been spent considering the last three weeks were fairly light knitting.  I think.

Midway through the day Saturday I realized that the giant ball of denim yarn was looking pretty skimpy.  I took it out and wound it up into a ball.  


Not too much remaining before the new ball gets joined.  The bonus in this photo is that you can see the place where the previous ball of cream was changed.  A bit more than a foot of knitting was done since that happened.  My best guess at this point is that I have about 8 inches of knitting the marled colour before it is time to switch to knit the edging trim bit again.  That bit is 11 inches wide, so about 20 inches to go.

I did not knit at all on Sunday.  F1 was just too...normally I would use the word exciting, but yesterday was something else.  It was probably the most stressful thing I have seen happen in years.  Just after the start of the race, fourth corner I think, there was a massive crash and huge fireball.  Fireballs are rare these days in formula one.  They were regular in my younger days as a fan, but with all the safety features are thankfully rare now.  To see it happen was just heart wrenching.  There were moments when every soul watching across the entire planet held out breaths.  No one could live through that flaming mess and then the relief as the commentators say they have him out.  You still can't breathe till minutes later, the medical car comes on screen and there the driver is, shaken, you can see and in shock, but walking mostly on his own and you just have to cry for the relief of it all.  As the day unfolds, you see more video and you start to realize that this was a miracle of epic proportions.  Every single thing was in his favour, from the halo parting the fence just so to the medical car being right behind his end of the pack crash, right down to him not being knocked out and managing in the middle of the fireball to lever himeself half out of the safety cell.    A miracle.  I think of his family too.    

And then by the time the extended race coverage was over, it was time to get ready for my swanky new bed scheduled to arrive late in the afternoon.  I did not sleep well the night before.  I slept in the living room on my love seat.  It was fine but I was chilly without my layers of pure wool coverings. I caved in the middle of the night and dragged the whole pile out to cover me.  All the race drama meant no napping to catch up so by the time I hit the swanky new bed last night, I was exhausted.  I slept well enough.  The bed is certainly comfortable.  The mattress, a Bloom is incredibly comfortable and yet, I didn't sleep well last night.  It wasn't the usual.  I didn't have my curtain so I felt weirdly naked.  The bed sits higher than my old bed.  Not stupid high but enough that I could feel it in that odd way our bodies know something is different at night when you sleep.  It was like sleeping on the wrong side of the bed, or facing the wrong way.  I slept, and I was really comfortable but it is going to take a few nights to feel at home.  

However, pressing a button and raising your feet and your shoulders is cool.  Very cool.  And the silly thing has a massage.  Did I mention that?  Plus, we figured out how to get the curtain up again.  It will take a few days to manufacutre it but I will get my curtain back for which I am very thankful.

Anyway, that brings me to a slightly groggy morning and an urgent need for more coffee.  It is errand day today but there should be lots of time  for knitting.  

It is also the landlord's birthday.  I asked him this morning how a kid who was such an easy quick birth could have become such a big pain as an adult.  He slowly raised his head in that quirky laid back sort of way of his, looked at me with a weird smile and said, 'Balance.  It is all about balance'.  

Word.

No comments: