Wednesday 23 September 2020

Sleeve Two.

And there we are.  Sleeve one done.  It looks a little stubby though, doesn't it?  


I am keeping open the possibility that it will need to be longer, depending what happens once the garment is fully blocked, but I think it will be okay.  It it close to the length I want now and once blocked, should be perfect.

As I was knitting the sleeve, I realized that I kind of have a time crunch happening.  The yarn for the shawl has arrived here at the post office and will be picked up with mail this week.  Mail day is Thursday.  I want to get most of this last sleeve done before it arrives so.  My fear is that once the yarn arrives for the shawl, my feeble mind will only want to knit on the shawl.  It would be such a waste to have this striking sweater sitting there, waiting for part of a sleeve.

I realized that I was going to have to pick up to cast on for sleeve two immediately after finishing the cuff on sleeve one.  I also realized that getting those second sleeve stitches picked up quickly on any project is why I don't suffer from sleeve island syndrome.  Just like second socks, it is easy to fall into the trap of casting off part one making you feel like you really ought to be done, and resenting the entire job you have left to do.  I don't usually feel like that.  When I cast off, I am always so excited that I get to start again, be it something new, or another part of what I am working on.  I just like starting things, I suppose.

This is a little different simply because this sweater is something to do while waiting and I am so excited to see it come so far in such a short time that I want it done first!

This morning, with my first coffee it was very important that I do this.



Cast on, counted stitches to match with sleeve one, and ready to go.  I am aiming for more than half a sleeve today and finishing before lunch tomorrow so that in the afternoon, I can knit the collar and button bands at the neckline.  

I also realized that I really really ought to have had the foresight to weave in the ends as I was knitting.  There are an awful lots of ends.  Lots and lots.  

It is going to be a few evenings of work just to weave the ends in.  Sigh.  Oh well.

No comments: