Friday 17 January 2020

The Odd Buddy

My shawl of the day is something nice and large and very special to me.



Another part of my Christmas present a=has arrived and I am thrilled in a weird sort of way. 

Way back in the dark days when Mr. Needles was just in hospital, I discovered Poirot.  I had seen the show here and there over the years but Mr. Needles wasn't  a fan so I really never watched it.  In those dark early days, just after we knew the worst, I had a lot of trouble sleeping.  I started watching Poirot and it worked.  It was enough to catch my attention but gentle enough to lull myself to sleep.  All through those dark, dark days I kept my sanity because I could count on Poirot to occupy my little gray cells.

That stayed the same all these years.  When I am tense, when my mind goes round and round, unable to resolve the unresolvable,  and I cannot sleep, I watch Poirot and and focus on that little world where everything has resolution and eventually fall asleep.

It used to be on Netflix so it would stop after one episode was done.  Now it is split between Acorn and Britbox, neither of which has a fail safe single episode thing on their player program.  So for a slightly late part of my Christmas present to myself, I present




He is there when I am most alone. He is there late at night and there when I am down and there when I am upset.  If I had a puppy, his name would be Poirot.  (The landlord cannot do animals).   And now, if I want to watch an episode, I can without blinking an eye.  He is right here, in my house and I am tremendously pleased.

I realize that it is odd to be so sentimental, nay even just a bit goofy about a pack of dvds, but it is what it is.  Poirot is my friend and he will always have a home with me.

And now back to my knitting.  And this morning's adventure.  The Downton Abby movie.  I rewatched the entire series to prepare and now it is time.  Coffee on, knitting ready and away we go.

1 comment:

AthertonCA said...

Your post is quite touching. Poirot and the actor who portrays him, David Suchet, are terrific.