Sunday 17 November 2019

Almost

I have about 4 inches of sleeve left to finish this sweater and you know what?  I am a little tired of it.  Weird how it happens now.  Still, I am going to work like a son of a gun to get it done tomorrow.  And I do not expect it to be a hard goal at all.

I have talked about the state of my wardrobe many times before.  I have talked about the age of some of my clothes and how so many of my old standbys are getting threadbare.  I have even talked about how sewing cannot keep my beloved turetlencks together anymore.  

The other night I was awake at 2 a.m. .  I tend to stay quiet in my room at night.  The landlord wakes if I make too much noise so I cruise the Internet for cool things or read in my room or watch movies or shop online.  I rarely buy anything in these shopping adventures.  It is window shopping.  I might fill a cart but I generally don't do anything till morning and nine times out of ten, the cart is emptied and I merrily go on my way.

I was searching rather seriously for replacement turtlenecks.  I had put a thumb through the fabric of my basic black and that means I can no longer avoid replacing it.  It isn't that I haven't looked, but it is rare to find turtlenecks at stores catering to women of size.  It is also rare to find nether garments or tights that are not pants, but are rather more a footless long stocking.  There never is a category containing winter underwear.  Apparently to the garment world, we do not get cold.

After several years of watching my stores, I had kind of settled on buying a mans turtleneck and sewing it down to fit.  I went to Marks, a work wear chain that ought to carry a good selection of what I wanted and I looked at various things.  

While I was there, I decided to see what they had for women's wear.  And they did have the right kind of thing but since they really only do average fits, I didn't think I would be buying.  It was worth the look though just in case.  And there you have it.  They do have a size that will do well enough.  They would be one size down but in a stretchy garment that can work.  I thought I would chance it.  The worst thing that could happen was that it would get sent back.

When I placed the order, there seemed to be some hijinks going on.  Each shirt was 25 dollars but my total including tax was fifty for 4 shirts delivered to the local store for pickup.  I checked again.  Nope.  There was a sale going on plus there was 30% on top of that sale.  I saved more than I spent but for the taxes.

I placed the order and then I went to sleep.  The landlord went to town today and picked them up and they are going to do just fine.  New warm shirts and a really good deal besides.  I win!

No comments: