Sunday 25 August 2019

Meandering Myrtle

I am not sure what happened to Friday.  I meant to post but it was late Saturday when I realized that Friday was missing and at that point, that knowing Thursday was there, was enough.

It wasn't the quiet weekend I had thought it would be.  No sleeping in at this house.  A certain young man was feeling a little hesitant about being up early all alone and needed grandma to get up to keep him company.  So grandma got up at 4:52 a.m.  Sigh.  The kids came for a quick overnite while mommy and daddy had some grownup time.  I appreciate that grownup need time too. I really really do.  I remember the way my mom and dad stood in when we needed them.  They were always there for Brian and I and the kids. Grandma's time will come when small children no longer need grandma as is the way of things.

Still, I got a lot of knitting done.  


I am so please with the way it is going.  I knit the first couple inches straight and just did the first set of decreases at the sides.  I can see how much more math dependant knitting from the bottom up is.  When you knit top down, the rate of decreases matters less.  You just keep going till you have it to fit, but this...this is requires that I know row gauge and that I know how long I want the finished sweater to be, so that decreases can be in the right place.  

Sure, I am knitting a pattern, but as usual, I also have to fit me.  I simply cannot follow the pattern. I am not built that way.  I'm also not knitting the pattern gauge.  The yarn is lace weight in the pattern.  My yarn is a sprotweight.  Very different gauges as well as the different dimensions mean math and bottom up, means much more attention needs to be paid to that math.  

But my interpretation of Myrtle is well under way and all is very good.

PS, I am knitting this off of cones of yarn meant for weavers. Up till this afternoon in the heat of the day, I wasn't aware of the oil that is usually put into coned yarns.  As I put it away for the evening, the oil smell was there and I noticed that my hands are so wonderfully soft.  I can't rub my eyes though.      





No comments: