Wednesday 26 June 2019

The Pups and the Evil Yarn

A certain Mr. Someone and his Pups and I had a lovely day together. His sister also featured large.  She was up, all dressed and ready to open the door for me when I arrived at 6:30 a.m.!  She whispered to me that she phoned me at 5:30 so I wouldn't forget.  And she did too.  


Knitting was a little dicey though.  His pups and the Mission Paw Paw Patroller had a few hairy minutes stuck to the yarn.  The evil yarn kept getting caught in the wheels and inside where the Mission vehicles ride.  And then,  the yarn made everything fall out but all the pups landed safely on their wheels and were ready to go.  It was close. It was amazing.

I wish that one day when they are grownups that all my grandkids could see themselves as I see them.  Cassie, Marcus, Isaac, Carter and my little Emmett.  They are such bundles of imagination and energy and I truly hope that life and adulthood doesn't suck that out of them.  They mean so much to me.

And then the knitting.  That evil sock yarn finished its socks.


They are pretty nice socks, but I have to tell you, that this is probably going to be my last pair of this pattern.  Since I started these, some of the previous pairs I knitted have gone into the sock rotation and they are not standing up.  I seem to make the slip stitch sections too tight and they end up having yarn breaks right on a slip.


It is disheartening to have it happen on the first wash, but better now than before I make too many.  Please note, this is knitter error and is not related to the pattern at all.  The pattern is great.  Seriously great.  I love knitting it.  I just slip too tightly.  Let this be a lesson.  It was to me and this most recent Geek socks have been knitted with much greater care taken to keep the floats loose.

Having completed that pair, it was high time to set up a couple more pairs so I have something to knit during the races this weekend.  It is the Austrian Grand Prix, the home of Red Bull Racing and it is always fun to watch.  But knitting during F1 can be a little intense and tension can change so sweaters are not always the thing.  Socks really are the perfect knitting for race days.

I pulled out some different yarn for me, one I picked up first at Jo's Yarn Garden on a visit just after Christmas.  

Lovely colours that made an interesting toe and I can't wait to see what happens as it goes up the foot.  That is half the fun of knitting socks, seeing what happens with the colours.

The yarn is called Naked Sock.  It is wool free and is mostly acrylic.  On the ball bands it says perfect for sweater, shawl and sock projects.  I can easily see it for sweaters and small shawls.  It is wonderfully slinky and soft.  The drape would be amazing in anything made from this but I want to know if it would stand up to socks because really, if you are going to call something Naked Sock, in my book, it has to stand on its feet.  I don't think it would make a good really long sock.  I suspect the cuff will slump.

I also started another pair, more just that I had needles free and they were right there beside me.



I picked this up on that same trip to Jo's.  I should have checked.  I am trying not to use only those pretty bright things, but I guess the heart wants what it wants.  

It's an interesting colourway. Lemon,and bright sunshine yellows and khaki followed by black and grey.  I hold out hope that the end product will be uplifted by the sunshine yellow.  It is the perfect example of my belief that a bit of black makes a dull colourway come to life.  Even the brightest yellow couldn't liven it up if not for this black.  Still it is a great wool.  Meilenweit is one of my all time favourite sock yarns.  Second only to Kroy in durability in my sock drawer and that says a lot about it.  

So, the knitting is ready for this weekend and races.  School is out for all my kids and with full summer and the spray park in town being open, I hope to arrange some playdates for grandma
with all my kids.  The tasks of the day are at hand and my coffee is ready for a refill.

No comments: