Thursday 11 April 2019

Of Skirts on Pink Dresses

I did knit  bit yesterday but most of the day was taken up with sewing and thinking of sewing.  I worked on Cassie's dress.


When last you saw her dress, it fit her!  I attached the skirt in a way that allowed for no torso expansion, and while it fit her now, she had extreme difficulty getting it on and off.  I had it ready to assemble months ago, but she was very upset that in order to make it larger at the join, I had to cut some length off at the top.  So these last many months I have been trying to figure out how to add length.  

I looked at my fabric and mourned.  I don't have enough of the pink patterned stuff to make a longer skirt section.  Ikea no longer has this particular curtain.  I hemmed and hawed.  I thought and thought.  I decided a white underskirt was the way to go.  I planned on doing that all winter long, but for one little problem.  No.  Oddly enough, not time, though that was a factor in getting it done.  

The problem was the white cloth.  I had some of the right kind of cotton, but it was too narrow to make the longer skirt Cassie wanted.  It brely added 2 inches doing it the way I made the first skirts. Time came into play because I did not have time to really think how to get all the things I wanted out of this one narrower piece of cloth.  

First off, I was hoping for another full circle skirt.  That was part of why she loved it.  The fabric was just too narrow.  I thought perhaps by laying it to quarters and sewing them together, but nope.  Still did not get me what I wanted.  I laid and folded and figured and finally managed to get what I was looking for by making eight sections for the circle.  That gave me about 6 inches of white and that will make the longer skirt she liked.  

The skirt is assembled and I am sewing the very narrow hem on it to match the other skirt parts.  With my narrow little hem thing and my many seams, it isn't going so well s it did the first time.  I may yet be ordering more fancy rolled hem feet and making a wider hem.  I can probably use a greater variety of feet for my own sewing. 

It is going, but slowly, ever so slowly.     

No comments: