Thursday 18 April 2019

A Happy Pile of Stuff

Further to my falling in love with Sachiyo Ishii's books, I was spinning with a friend yesterday morning and here you are


the goat from her book!  It is really quite sweet and wonderfully detailed.

And here is some spinning!


I still know how to do it!  Not that I expected to forget mind you.  Sometimes I wonder if the knowing some of these things is not an inherited trait, so deep do these things run through me, and all I need is a reminder, an awakening, to know what and how to do things. Not that I do them perfectly.  I think that will take a lifetime to accomplish but fibre work comes so freely to my hands. I had  marvellous time.  Much wool was spun!

After spinning, I took myself off to the fabric store.  I almost cannot bear to look in my clothes drawers, so devoid of colour and pattern they are. I tend to simple and for years I have tended to basic colours, worn topped with bright scarves and more recently, interesting sweaters, but summer is soon here and I just want more than plain t shirts.  I was hoping for at least one wild print like the Hawaiian shirts Magnum PI made famous in my youth.  I wanted wild flora and fauna, ferns and toucans and Bird of Paradise flowers.

I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.  I wanted soft flowy drapey knits in rayon or cotton polyester with vibrant prints, but there were no fabrics such as I wanted to be had.  The printed knits were all heavy, more suitable for skirts or just straight woven cottons.  Or kiddie prints and not even too many of those.  I found a few things that will add a bit of life though so not at all a waste of time.


There is a really soft flowing wide striped rayon knit fabric and two lovely striped pieces, also rayon, that will make marvellous tops but the real find is this one.

A Missoni like remnant from a bin of 'stuff'.


It isn't very wide so there isn't enough for a top all on it's own, but in truth, I don't think it would show off just how lovely the colour and pattern is as a standalone.  It would almost overwhelm itself.  I'm going to insert a section of it in some of the black knit fabric to give it just the right amount of punch.  There is something about black off setting a strong colour or design that makes my heart beat just a little faster!

The other thing I wanted to show you actually happened while I was off on my knitting retreat though I only picked it up yesterday.  I won this sweet bouquet in a silent auction.  It's almost too cute to break apart.  It's a tiny boozy delight!  Not that I drink much.  A little goes a long way but this was just too sweet to not try for.




Congratulations on a great fundraiser to the Bruderheim Firefighter's Association entry into the Fire Fighter's Stair Climb Challenge.  My daughter in law, Olga, is part of the stair climb team and I am so gosh darn proud of her.  But to everyone with the Bruderheim Firefighter's Association, you are amazing people and your work is making hospice care better for everyone.



1 comment:

Christine said...

The booze bouquet! And pepperoni too! Too funny,