Monday 11 February 2019

The Shawls

Sometimes I look at my WIPs and wonder why are these not finished?  They each have a reason, some of them hosts of reasons, some of them thousands of days of reasons, but they do each have a reason they are not being worked on.  Still, I want them all to be done as much as I want to do some things with some lovely stash yarns.  Like Isager Wool 1 and Jamieson's Ultra and Einband.  To say nothing of the Briggs and Little Sport, a very different yrn but just as stunning in it's own way.  And Kauni...

Sorry, I could so easily go off track and tal about the yarn I have waiting.  What I wanted to show you was the yarns I already have in use for shawls.  Just shawls.

Like this lovely thing.


This is my Bridgewater shawl In Classic Elite Silky Alpaca Lace, a project which I dearly love and wanted to finish a very long time ago.  I started it in November of 2012 and then had a problem with a join of new yarn and had to pull the lace back and then couldn't get going again. And then there was that whole part where life sucked and well, it just hasn't made it to the top of the list since.  Right now it is back at the start of the lace.  This really deserves to be worked on. It is the oldest of all my works in progress and I do mean to finish. 

Or this.


which is one of a series of shawls I wanted to knit for my sisters. It is the Lilac Leaf Shawl from Nancy Bush in Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud. It has looked exactly like this since March of 2017. and sits right there in the same place as when I abandoned it all those months ago.

Such lovely things. so little time.

I was thinking about these because I decided to pick up another project that has been around for a while, my first Point of Libra Shawl. I'm using a gradients from Sweet Georgia and Hatrick Semi-Solid from River City Yarns for the solid. Lots of progress on this stunner.  The last time you saw it it looked like this.  


Since then I finished the colours and finished part one of the final border section.  It looks pretty good right there, but it looks even better now with the strong grey setting up against the glorious red.  


Fourteen more garter stitch ridges and a bind off and it will be complete.  Not too shabby for this one.  I only started it in January of 2018, so just over a year it has been sitting on needles.  At least it was worked on steadily.

I do have two other shawls on needles right now.  I might as well mention them here too and give all the shawls some coverage.

The Brush Creek Shawl which I started in June last year.  The yarn is Shilasdair from a friend
 
 Which is such a lovely thing to work with.

And The Study Hall Shawl in Comfort Chunky.


which I started in November last year.

Sadly, I won't be taking any of these with me while I am working.  It is just too close to the end to allow the dog a chance to wreck the First Point and the other are too complicated for stopping and starting or are too new to take yet.  So socks it is.  It's not a bad thing.  I do need socks and I am working up to a heel day in the near future.  Another pair done will fill two days knitting quite nicely.  

I needed a bit of a break from Hun, a mental break more than anything.  Colourwork isn't stressful, but it is intense.  
 

No comments: