Thursday 31 January 2019

Daring the World at Large

The very first thing I did this  morning was pick up the Hun sweater and start to knit.  Normally I start with a few rounds on a sock, but my hands needed to start full bore.  That doesn't mean I didn't start without my morning stretches.  I did.  What it does mean is that I started with the heavy knitting before coffee.  Haha.  That's like issuing a dare to the word at large. 

But for all that, it is going well.



Isn't that just the prettiest thing?  The colour work is so crisp, so clearly defined.  Lopi, or in this case, Lett Lopi is the epitome of a sticky yarn.  It isn't going to need excessive blocking to look right.  It just does.  If you are learning colourwork, this is a great thing.  

I'm past the just learning stage on colourwork.  I would say I am more of a novice colour worker who is at the stage where you dare anything but may not quite have the skill to carry it off.  Lopi can certainly give you the confidence to try.

It feels like the sweater will go fairly fast. 


As you can see here, Hun is a sweater of bands with a plain band of colour between the patterns, essentially a striped garment, with a row of eyelets between each band.  And we all know that stripes make the knitting feel fast even when it isn't. That plain knit bands keep this tidy cardigan from feeling too busy.  A pattern on every band could easily make the knitting feel crowded.

The other interesting thing about Hun is the scale of the rows of colourwork and plain knitting.  The higher up to the neck you go, the narrower the bands become.  It's just such a clever thing to do to keep it from looking to heavy at the neckline. It won't overwhelm you.  

Any how, that is what I'm doing today.  I am also hoping to get photos of the turtleneck sweater to show you.  I am so pleased with that.  So pleased.  For now, off to a second cup of coffee and a bit more of what I really love to do.

No comments: