Monday 17 December 2018

A Mitten Tree

Last week, my little Cassie was telling me about the school mitten tree, where the kids purchase mittens and at the end of the tree time, all the mittens are sent to one of the local family support places.  I asked if I could make some for her to give, and she told me that they had to be bought at a store.  On Thursday she came home, and told me she asked the library lady who is in charge of the tree, if her grandma could knit some. The answer was of course, and  she asked if I could maybe make some for her.  Friday morning at 6 a.m. she woke to find out if I had finished mittens for her.  

Sadly, I told her it takes a little longer than that.  But I am pleased to report this morning


that two pairs of mittens are going to be given to the mitten tree.  

The first pair


is made from some Rowan Cocoon I had for an experiment that did not work out.  It's a good warm mitten yarn.  they are just plain because a boy might need these and better to keep the options open.

The second pair


is made from Kathmandu Chunky.  This yarn, left over from my big first thing in the morning sweater  is a superb mitten yarn.  I don't know if it is woollen spun but it has a loftier character that suits mittens perfectly.  Great for little kids.

That is all so far.  There might be more kid sized mittens.  They take so little time.

I have everything more or less ready for Christmas.  I have a run of groceries to do, but there isn't any urgency on it. I have a bit of housekeeping to do.  I have a bit of sewing to do today and if that goes well, I am going to do a little stash dive.  It's a bit past time for one from a taking care of the yarn perspective but there are a few things I need to pull out for projects and  few things to tuck away.

It is also time to seriously start thinking about the new year which is galloping towards us.   NaJuReMoNoMo is coming up and I am hoping to get past two novels and maybe to three for January, and there is the first knitting project of the year to think about. I think I have always started  new year with something new.  It just feels right and I have done well this year with finishing older things and with meeting my goals.  Of ten goals from the start of the year, only 2 remain undone and one of those projects may very well be the new project.  So many choices of lovely knitting things.  I think I know what I want, but I'm not quite sure.  A meander through the yarn will settle it, I think.  

 So, lots to do.  lots to see, and a whole lovely day to do it in.  

No comments: