Wednesday 17 October 2018

Takes Till Wednesday To Tell

I had such a good weekend that here it is, Wednesday, and I still have stuff to tell about what I did on the weekend. It could actually take till Thursday, but I'm not quite ready to show that and I do have to save some stuff for later. For now I will tell you about the rest of the things I meandered through last weekend.

I started a sock.  


It looks like an ordinary sock but it is special right from the get go.  It was a found sock.  This is one of the yarns that I had pulled out to use for the Sock Arms style Paw Patrol sweater.  I was going to measure out how long the pink section was and found a garter square toe and the first couple rounds complete on a sock.  No needles, no dropped stitches.  Just a found toe.  To not turn that into a completed sock would be a travesty of sock toe knitting, so I put all the stitches on needles and just kept going.  What must have happened was that I needed the needles or found prettier yarn to knit.

But this sock is more than just a plain sock.  The podcasts that I have been listening to regularly have been talking a lot about Vanilla is the New Black socks.  Not toe up you say?  Haha!  Vanilla Reversed!  This is the pattern I am using of course, though I my give a go to the top down version as well. Sock well begun in my books.

Sunday evening I did something else, something completely different.  I pulled out some cotton and warped up my new little loom from Purl & Loop.  (This is a dangerous site.  Very dangerous, but a lot of fun. They have trees.  And ornaments.  To weave.  They have all kind of fun looking little looms. Purl and Loop, you are killing me.)


I wasn't project swatching, but was just giving it a test drive.  I wanted to see how it would work and to see if there were any quirks I needed to understand in order to get a good gauge swatch.  I got this.


It's not perfectly square, not perfectly woven and not at all perfectly finished, but it is a perfectly serviceable little mug rug.  It fits even the largest mugs.


This is one of those Corningware soup mugs, or as I call it, a coffee mug for 'those' mornings.   

Today is one of those mornings.  I woke at 4 and fell asleep again just after 6 as I was debating getting up.  I finally woke at 7:30 so everything is running just a little late today.  No matter.  I have no list of tasks today, no errands. The only thing on my radar is to knit a soft little green and blue scarf and to work on a sweet little blue sweater.  And maybe a sock.  Or a shawl.  Or...      


No comments: