Thursday 18 October 2018

Making it to Thursday with Weekend Adventures

I talked about my favourite old sweater a few weeks ago.


I knit it in 2010 and it has been worn in steady rotation since then. More than.  It was a favourite. This past year, it was worn  bit less because it was, sadly, showing its age.


Some of the strands and the underarm and down the side were starting to look pretty sketchy.  I debated doing a duplicate stitch repair but it would have been long,  all the way down the arms and body.  And then, there was this.


At some point in the last few months, the sleeve was torn on the dishwasher.  I am sure it was the dishwasher. There is a catchy bit on the side of one of the trays and everything gets caught there.  That meant this was a sweater that was 8 years old and in need of significant repair.  

This is a problem I am facing with my entire wardrobe.  Most of my things are old, but for a few tee shirts and the things I sewed last summer.  Quite a number of things are 5 years old and I know that because I had to stop and buy clothes when Brian was sick.  At the time my wardrobe could no longer support being out in public every day and it has not really gotten any better in the years since.  I hate shopping for clothes.  More, I hate paying for things that are poor quality and an even poorer fit.  I have spoken of this before.  

Much of my wardrobe issues come from personality quirks.  If I do not have a personal connection to a thing, it is easy to let go.  I've never had a problem letting go of books I wasn't fond of, or decorative items or furniture.  Even selling the house I lived in for 24 years was not a problem.  If I like something or more importantly have a strong ongoing emotional connection to it,  I want to hold on to it forever.   

I've been trying to weed out these silly behaviours when I see them and I am trying to see them sooner than I used to.  So, when I tell you that this sweater has been a hard thing to let go of, you will understand.  But what to do with a sweater that cannot be a sweater anymore?  I was struggling with the losing all that work and that lovely pattern on top.  No. Just no.

When I decided to fix the problem on my striped sweater collar, that seemed to open the floodgates.  I was digging in my sewing things last week and I realized that there were two packages of bag stiffener on the shelves.  The sweater popped into my mind and I knew what I was going to do.  

On the weekend, I tossed the sweater in with towels and started to felt it.  In all I had to put it through the machine, washer and dryer, three times to get the right fabric and size, but here I am.    

My goal for the day yesterday was to do a bit of sewing to turn this


and these


into a good basic useable bag. 

I hemmed and hawed at the fabric store about the kind of bag handles I wanted to attach.  Fabricland,  the local chain fabric store, is carrying a large range of bag things right now.  The handles they had came in many styles and colours, but the price.  Oh my goodness the price!  Forty dollars plus.  I wasn't having any of that, so I opted for  much simpler kind of strap. 


I wouldn't have needed the d-rings, but once I knew I was going with a cross body style bag, determined by the handle choice,  it felt like the right look.  I debated a zipper closure for the top, but opted for a simple toggle closure.  It gives me more flexibility in carrying a large variety of stuff.  Baugette and cheese with wine for a picnic?  No problem.


The outside is complete but there is still lots to do to get this bag ready to use.  I could use it as is, but I want this bag to be a sturdy carry all, something that will last and I would like it to sit better, so a wider bottom is in order.  I am going to line it properly and will be using some of that interfacing that is sitting on my shelf.  

So, lots to do today.  There is some other sewing to complete before the sewing desk is clear to work on linings, and there is a knitted scarf for my peanut, Carter to finish.  Plus there are a couple things to cut out for sewing next week. It will be a good, busy day.  Time to start.

No comments: