Tuesday 11 September 2018

Ruminations and rejoicing

Do you ever get dressed in the morning and find yourself jumping for joy, in a metaphorical sense that you get to wear a certain piece of clothing?

I do.  I know it sounds weird, but I do and for more than one piece.  

First off, I love handknit socks.  I love how they snug to my foot and how if they have a heel, they cup it just so.  I love the instant warmth.  There is a sigh of contentment that runs through me when both socks are on.  It isn't loud or big, or weird, and there isn't any dancing.  It is just this sort of there, but it is deep and real and lovely.  I do have favourites of course. I love short row heels the best to wear.  I've been doing them with two strands of wool so they last longer and that gives some extra structure to the shaping. They just cup and fit so fine.  They do seem to be the pairs I grab first when I have a full drawer of socks.  

Linen.  I love wearing linen.  I love wearing unironed linen and how it just kind of adapts as I wear it.  Once you get past the idea of linen needing ironing,and the idea that wrinkles are bad, you come to love linen really fast.  I reached for my linen this morning and it just came to me how comfortable they are and how good they make me feel.

Sweaters.  Everybody in the world knows how much I love my sweaters. I love, love, love how fall is here and that I get to wear my sweaters everyday.  I love the cozy warmth of them, the snuggled feeling like a hug from mom when I put it on.  I love that when I put my sweaters on, I am wearing something that fits not just in the shoulders where I am pretty narrow, but in the hips where I am not.  Or vice versa.  I love that they look good on me, far more than anything I ever purchased in a retail store.  

If there was someone here with me when I woke everyday, with whom morning is a sort of shared conversation but without words, I wouldn't have time to contemplate these things, nor appreciate them so fully.  Perhaps it is more that other things would crowd out my conscious appreciation of them.  C'est la vie.

I have been feeling pretty low since spring.  Summer is not my favourite season.  To be honest it never was, but  these last years, it is something to get through.   I might enjoy particular days and things, don't get me wrong  A lovely summer day with a gentle breeze and sitting knitting is really the perfect thing in its way, but overall, there is a pall that accompanies me all season long.  

Fall feels like life reawakens for me, as if this is my time, my place, where all my favourite things reside.  I wish it would be sunny today.  I wish the snow they have forecast for midweek would not come to be, but even with all this grey weather, I still rejoice that fall is here.




  

No comments: