Monday 24 September 2018

Buzzzzzzy

It was such  busy weekend.  It is hard to remember it all. 

Saturday I determined that whatever else happened, I was going to finish the dyeing.  I had the three dye solutions ready and had three dye mixtures ready to go.  The yarn had soaked overnight to open it and prepare it.

 I did the three colour mixes first.  If I had to do it again, I had primary solutions left to work from.  They turned out wonderfully.  

Then I did up the three primary dye colours.


The dyes came out beautifully but two of them were not quite what I needed. In the end, the teal was more ordinary green and the magenta pink was too dark for what I needed.  

These colours,  


along with the blue, 


Are a good start to a Paw Patrol Chase sweater.  Well, except for the magenta which is above the orange. It is just too much, too near the red colour.  

That is enough dye adventures for me for right now.  I need to get started on the sweater, so it is back to the drawing board to see if I can find anything with the 3 colours I need, pink, a khaki green and something close to aquamarine green.  I did not want to have to piece from sock yarns.  That makes socks harder down the road, but I really didn't want to buy more than the cream sock yarn I already bought.  I bought the dye for this adventure but that was money well spent.  It was spent learning the process as much as getting colours and knowledge is always good. Besides, there are some silk hankies I would like to play dyer on...way down the road.

Getting those colours was amazing but that was enough.  Time to go digging in the sock yarn box.


These three have a little of each of the colours I need.  I knit  few sock rounds to be sure the colour runs are long enough.  I know I can get three rounds of 68 stitches of each of the colours runs I need on a sock for me, so it should be pretty comparable to an arm on a four year old boy.  In the blue ball, there is a perfect aquamarine, in the greens, a nice wide khaki stripe, in the pinky orange ball, a pretty good dusty pink.  If the dusty pink isn't right, I have one final, less desirable option, a hot pink from a ball of Regia in those hot colours from a year or so ago. I really wanted to avoid this picking apart sock yarns like this, but so it goes.  This will work and will work well.

That was just one adventure from the weekend.  There were more.  It was good.  Stay Tuned.

No comments: