Monday 23 July 2018

Maritime Air

I have no idea if that is why it is so humid, but the air is very different here in Fredricton.  It's lovely and wooded with farms dotted all through and everything is lush, though the locals say it is very dry.

I made it to my own personal mecca, Briggs and Little yarns.  If nothing else happens on this trip, I am where I set out to be and the trip is a success.  Not everyday has been a success, particularly a couple of the camping days.  The heat is a bit of a problem that exacerbates some other small problems that get to be a kind of bigger problem.  I was prepared for them in almost every way I could think of, but the days of extended heat are pushing all the wrong buttons.  Still at the end of everyday, I am happy to be traveling.

Now, Briggs and Little.  Sigh.  I could have sat there the whole day.  All that lovely yarn.  All the stunning colours.  And the sweaters on the wall.  I didn't take pictures.  If I go back, I might ask if I can.  I wanted all of it.  Had I taken all of it, I wouldn't have had to choose.  Choosing was hard.

The first thing I dealt with was the selections of my friend.  With that done, I did the easy part of mine.  I was making a Ram's Horn jacket and I was using  Regal, but Regal wasn't quite right.  It was too light for what I had in my head.  I wanted sturdier yarn and from the moment I had decided this trip was a go, I knew that some Atlantic would be coming home with me.




I also wanted to get more Sport in Sheeps grey. 


I want to make another Hap, just for me, like I made for Olga's grandmother.  I have Sheep's grey at home but I have a plan for that.  So 5 more of this lovely Sport yarn are coming home with me.

After that, choosing was hard. Projects pop into my head when I see yarns and their range of colours.  The hard part was picking only one or two of the things that popped up. I did come away with a couple very interesting things.

Regal in Quoddy blue.

Such a poor pale picture of it.  I will try to get another shot in different light to show you all how pretty it is , but plenty for a sweater with cables if I choose.  It is really the nicest blue.

And then I fell for a wonderful shelf. 





Just like this, laying across a shelf , the whole range of Fundy Fog, Lilac, and Plum. I have a similar range of colours in a different yarn, but they already have plan and it isn't a sweater.  Hence sweater.



And the a treat, just because.

It doesn't look like they work together, but they do, and it is marvelous. 

And so came the end of my day at Briggs and Little.  I have no firms plans for where I go next, but who knows.  I may be back this way again.  If I have room.

1 comment:

Jean said...

And of course I have left money at Briggs and Little!