Tuesday 5 June 2018

Those are 4.5's

I was cruising along on the Pole sweater and did not plan to let a small thing like a very long graft slow me down.  I took all the stuff I would need with me.  Except the 5 mm needles I grabbed aren't 5's, they are 4.5, that I knit like 4mm needles when I am working in the round.  Sort of put a stop to sweater knitting for a bit.

Luckily, I prepare for such things.  I picked up a pair of socks and got busy.





I was working on these socks last week in my normal spinning time, but dropped a stitch and so, set them aside for a time when I could sort it out.  It took only a minute to fix and on I went.

The nice flat sock has another 2 cable twists before I drop that sock and get number one complete up to the same point.  Then when both socks are at the same place, I will assess what yarn remains.  This hank nly had 360 m in it, plenty for socks but if I want to used all the yarn up, then I have to keep checking what is left.  It would have been much easier to split the yarn before I started, but at that point in January, I did not have a scale.  

And thus this dance of socks go on.  This way of knitting socks does have some merit.  When I finish sock two, a whole pair will be complete.  There won't be any lag time while I knit a sock two.  While finishing a pair of socks is never a problem for me, this is a kind of interesting feeling.  

No comments: