Sunday 10 June 2018

Back up and running

I am home again and my pillows are on my bed.  Note to self:  Always take your pillows when you travel.  It is just so much better.

There was knitting this morning!  All sorts of knitting actually.  First up to finish my brother's socks.


I have just enough left to do some darning when they need it down the road.  This is the first pair of socks I completed this year.  For the first time in ten years of sock knitting, I went halfway through the year with none completed, a thoroughly disgusting statistics.  However, there are many on the needles, most of them well into the first sock.  Order in the rank of socks will reign in sock knitting shortly.

And then it was time to look at what else I ought to knit today.  When last I worked on Amy's sweater, I was in want of bigger needles.  5s are just not cutting it.  A quick review of the dpns shows that there is nothing between 5 mm and 7 mm, and I am certain the 7s are just too big.  So, even though I was sure I had all the needles in the world, I need more. Ah well, there it is.  I will need 6 or 6.5 mm soon enough.  I have loads of yarns that will need that gauge for the right kind of fabric. So no sleeves today.

I pulled out the last of the sweaters I want to finish for Stash Dash, my version of  Joji Locatelli's Granito.  Last time I even looked at this really great sweater was last October.  And that is just such a shame.  It's a nice yearn and a really adaptable and interesting pattern.  Not at all the sort of thing you can park your brain for, unless you can remember the slipped stitch rows.  I can't so it keeps my brain very engaged.


When I picked it up this morning, I had to stop to admire how nice it is again.  I knit a round and as I knit counted stitches so I could see where I was.  I have a few more increases to do (Hips yanno.  A-lined body type) to get it to where the fit is what I am looking for.  I really hope that the drape works with this yarn for the changes I am making for fit.  From this point, the rest of the increases will happen in the back to help that happen.  

Cross your fingers.

I am certain now that there will be no pockets on my sweater.  I think I always hoped there would be, but pockets would not help how it will work for me, and that is that.  It's a shame that I didn't get back to this sooner. It would be the perfect thing to wear on a day like today.  Cool after a big storm lowered yesterdays hot hot morning but not cool enough to shut the windows.  

It will be done.  There isn't really that much too knit on it.  Sleeves, but the shoulders drop a bit and the sleeves by design are slim fitting. In both cases that means there are many fewer stitches to go.  For now, onward with the body.  Time to measure how long it is and then to just knit till I get it right.  



No comments: