Saturday 21 April 2018

Spinning!

Now that I have only 3 bobbins, I feel compelled to start, spin, and ply in short order, so I can begin the next.  Or maybe it is because I really want to ply the singles from that Big Ball of fibre but not in public and my free bobbin is now filled with another single. 
👵

When I was heading out to spin with my friend, frazzledknitter (do check out her stunning version of Humulus), I knew that I did not want to ply.  Plying still intimidates me, though thanks to that selfsame good friend, I am getting more comfortable with it, but I am not ready to try in public yet.  Not at all.  So I grabbed a couple 100 gr packages of Lincoln fibre from the stash and off I went.  



It's been compacted a bit in the bag, perhaps well stuffed is a better way of stating it, and stored for the last several years.  It is a washed and carded prep but is very low processed.  There is a bit of plant material in it, as you see.  I debated about carding it again before spinning it and while that probably would have been a great idea, I did not have the time.  

What I did opt for instead was generous pre-drafting to open it and pouf it out. 


 I am spinning this woolen long draw and I have to say, I think long draw and I were been born in the same place, but at different, distant times.  The fibre and twist feel so natural in my hands, as if this is what I was meant for.  As the twist sneaks into the carded fibre, pulling each tiny strand of fibre, it speaks to me, whispering all the things I saw in spinning that very first mystical moment when Cynthia from River City Yarns showed me what spinning was about.   

I was wondering how differently it would feel to spin the Lincoln but I am not sure if my finding is the prep or the fibre.  What I do know is that before the second bag is spun, I am going to make the time to card it so I can give this lovely fibre its proper due.  It is very nice to work with but I think the single would be much more smooth and consistent, if I had.  As it is, with it's lovely, lanolin rich, lightly processed heart, and its mildly compacted nature, it is making this lovely rustic looking single.


I took a sample off the first day I was working on it, and am pretty pleased with it so far.



I already know that I am two plying this by making it into a ball on my ball winder and plying from both ends.  I really enjoyed that technique and this is a great time to practise it.  

The current plan is to ply this bobbin tomorrow. I will card as well, so that the next bag will be ready for spinning on Tuesday.  I want to see how much difference the re-carding makes while my hands are still familiar with the first bag.   And I can't wait to see how the two different bags are in finishing!  Will it make a huge difference or not?

Spinning games are at hand and I am sitting here with a silly goofy grin on my face.  It really just doesn't get much better than this. 

No comments: