Friday 13 April 2018

Bernice's Revenge

My hand felt really good yesterday and has for several days.  The thumb injury is no longer an issue and the older ring finger issue is so much much better.  Even first thing in the morning, my hand feel flexible.  There is a very little bit of lingering puffiness that seems to impede regular motion rather than there being pain when I try to move.  Whatever is happening, it changed dramatically since last weekend.

So, I thought to give it a little bit of a try to see if I am ready to go back full bore to knitting.  

Each sitting, if you will was only two or three rows long, but I picked it up several times through the day.  Before each sitting I warmed my arm and hand up.  AT the end of the day, I was left with zip, nada, no stress, no strain, no puffy ring finger.  However, about 4 o'clock this morning, I could feel my thumb, so...

It was completely gone when I got up though.  I had hoped that maybe, if I babied it, it would miraculously be good, but it is not to be.  I am going to give it another week of rest before I try it again.  Well for sure till Tuesday next week, when I hope to be able to do a little bit of spinning.  

I was looking for a video by an Australian lady with excersizes for crafters that really seemed to help and came across something I really appreciated and enjoyed.  The Fruity Knitting Podcast, episode 31, had Carson Demers on as a guest.  It is from a few weeks back.  He had just gotten his book from the printer, but I can tell you, after listening to the interview, I really would like to get my hand on the book.  Without reading it, based solely on this one interview, I feel very strongly that Knitting Comfortably - The Ergonomics of Handknitting should be in every library for knitters.  I haven't seen the book yet so I am not 100% sure it is something I need to have on my shelves, but if it goes digital, I would drop everything and get a copy.   

So, today, I am not going to knit, but I will continue to be sensible and will restrain myself.  It is exactly a month since I injured my thumb and a few days more won't kill me.  It might feel like it will but it won't actually kill me.       

It brings to mind the old Possum Lodge oath, 'I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.'  from the Red Green Show.  Perhaps we should call this variation on a theme Bernice's revenge:  I'm a knitter (who doesn't want to stop), but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

No comments: