Thursday 22 March 2018

Absolutely no knitting

Since I have nothing interesting to post today about yarn or fiber or wooly things, I am going to tell you about my breakfast.

My grandson Marcus always tells me 'I yuv kashoo' meaning of course that he loves what he calls kashoo.  What he really loves is buckwheat.  Even as a wee tiny boy he could eat two big bowls of his kashoo.  Often he would finish up his sisters too.

As an adult, whenever I tried it from my average grocery store buckwheat, it formed this gelatinous mass, that may have tasted okay, but looked awfully grey and gluelike.  Enter My Marcus' mama and buckwheat from the European grocery, where you can get the same brand that she purchased in Ukraine and wow, what a difference.  The stuff on our average store shelf is partly ground.  The stuff she always has is whole grain and clean.  There is nothing grey or glutinous about it.

And it is so simple to cook.  But it in a pot to boil for 5 minutes and then just let it sit till it is cool enough to eat, usually another 10 minutes or so.  All the water is taken up by the buckwheat and what remains is a wonderfully nutty delicious breakfast.  Or other grain substitute.

Today I had mine with raisins and a little bit of molasses for sweetness, with a sprinkle of cinnamon.  

I know. But in a world of no knitting...

No comments: