Thursday 1 February 2018

Knitting for miles and miles

So after all that measuring yesterday, I measured this sweater.  I still have a depressingly large number of inches to go.  I am just one row over 12 inches.  There are miles and miles of knitting yet to be done on this sweater.   


The good thing is, that the farther I get away from the split for the faux cardigan, the better that detail looks.  I managed to put it right where I wanted it.  That doesn't always happen and when you are knitting this many stitches, it really hurts if you have to pull back.  I mean to make good progress on this today.  My only chore is groceries so not a biggie.  Lots of time to knit.

Going through old project pictures yesterday reminded me of some of the pieces that I loved that didn't survive for one reason or another.  I was reminded of this great sweater.


This was accidentally felted. It got mired in among other dark laundry and went through a wash. I have missed it ever since and I have always meant to knit another.  The pattern is Elysium by Jennifer Dassau  , all garter stitch, knit sideways and absolutely no finishing at all if you weave in ends as you go.  It was plain, quick to knit and all garter stitch.  The magic is in where and how you short row and it is kind of cool.

Sideways is an interesting way to knit a sweater.  You would think that it would limit what you can do, but  it is rather liberating and opens you up to a host of possibilities. 

Like the Vine Yoke cardigan by Ysolda Teague and this fantastic offering from Carol Sunday, Mixed Media and this very different, delicate thing from Norah Gaughan and Berroco, Trifle , or this simple variation from Drops with a really great collar treatment.  

There is actually a host of sideways sweaters.  Mythos, A Slice of Linen,  and this lovely form fitted design from Drops, just so many ways to approach sideways and an interesting search

But for right now, I pulled some yarn for and Elysium or a variation on a Vine Yoke Cardigan.  Not sure which, but feel pretty comfortable that I have a great yarn for either.

 That is supposed to be green, Forest green.  It's a hard colour to take a picture of.

No comments: