Wednesday 1 November 2017

Patterns for more than once

Do you do a pattern or a design more than once.  I am so often tempted but generally don't get there more than once because there are so many other things to knit.  

I have knit Shalom more than once, and can tell you without even thinking about it, that I have yarn for two variations in sport weight and two more worsted weight versions planned in the stash. A very big part of it is the way the yarn is used and the opportunity for colour play.  

Shalom has a round yoke and that is one of the reasons that I really loved it.  It is a yoke style that works well on me.  The yoke looks complicated but is not at all hard.  It could easily be a vest or sweater.  Adapting is is fantastically easy and fun once you understand how the yoke is knit.

I have another sweater that I have always wanted to reknit.  My Folklore Sweater.    When I went looking for the pattern again a few months ago, I found that the designer is no longer offering it.  I thought I would have to recreate it from my existing sweater, not a task I looked forward to.  

But with all this time spent not knitting, one of the things I have done, is tidy my bookcases and go through a few boxes and other assorted containers.  I went through all my sewing patterns.  I went through my remaining magazines - not many- and took our what I would use and recycled what I would not. I went through two small portfolio type page holders where all the loose patterns are.  

And guess what?

I have a copy of Folklore on paper!  I am so completely delighted by this and have already organized a sweater from it.  I frogged my Elfe 


I could not make the collar work for me and the body needed reknitting too.  But I love the yarn.  

I think that it will be a really perfect colour combination for Folklore though.  I cannot use the lovely grey that matches the coloured yarns.  There simply isn't enough there, but a substitution was easy to find.  Plus, with the existing grey, I can make mittens and hats or possibly something for Cassie.  

The new grey and this magnificently coloured yarn will look wonderful as Folklore.  I think I am going to make a variation where the base of folklore's little colour pockets is the brilliants red oranges and the solid grey will be the garter ridges and the body of the sweater.  

Me and my hand brace can't wait.

  

  

No comments: