Wednesday 6 September 2017

Reading

When I was a kid, I discovered reading.  I was the one who read to the end of Dick and Jane even when the teacher said we weren't supposed to go past the end of the first part.   By the time I was in grade three, I was allowed to help in the library and I even went over to the high school library a few times to get more books to read.  I very fondly recall getting a set of the first three Nancy Drew books for Christmas.  That was the best Christmas ever.  Remember those reading comprehension tests in school?  My favourite part of English.  

As an adult I continued to read.  And read.  And read.  It was what I did when kids and adulting did not require my time.  Slowly though, through middle age, the stress of work stole my reading time away, and by the time I discovered knitting, I didn't even have a library card anymore.  I still read 2 or three books a month, but it was so much less than the dozen or more that was normal for me for most of my life.

When I found knitting, I discovered that I did not know how to read at all and that whatever comprehension skill I may have once had, had flown the coop.  Don't even ask about my current memory skills asspciated with reading.   It's all different in knitting.

  
I have all the stitches picked up around the shawl and am working a small transition zone, before I start the lace pattern.  It's pretty simple and every second round is a purl row.  But I forgot to purl on row 4.  I didn't realize that until I had completed row 5 where row 4 ought to have been.   

It's a lot of stitches.  A lot.  There will be more, I know but I have to admit I was a little disheartened.  But only for a bit.  I am just going to have to keep reminding myself to read carefully, one row at a time. 

Slow, small, careful moves and even more careful reading, make for a steady knit and a speedy project.     


No comments: