Friday 8 September 2017

Another Colour Conundrum

Some time ago, I think on the last visit to the much missed Shuttleworks, I picked up a couple of cones of Harrisville Shetland.  They were the only cones on the shelf.  I took them because in this part of the country, Harrisville is a pretty rare thing.


I give you Lilac and Violet.   They are both lovely colours.  Stunning really.  The range of colours in the heathers of Harrisville yarns is amazing but these two lone cones just don't quite work together.  They needed something more.      

I had to order a couple things from Camilla Valley Farms for the loom, number one being repair heddles so I could sort out the irregularities as I warped the loom.  They carry the Harrisville Shetland and a couple of cones of yarn seemed in order to sort out my problem.  I hate unresolved yarn problems.


Without a colour card, going only by what I see on my monitor, colour can sometimes be a guessing game.  I ordered two colours.  


Periwinkle was a real guess.  I hoped it would be the right colour to bring the others together but no way to know till they were in the same light.


The Midnight was a safe choice.  It would go with either of the yarns alone and the depth of it's rich navy tone ought to overpower the others to allow them to work together.  That deep rich tone would be in charge.   

The problem is this.



These are the original configurations I thought of when I ordered the second set of cones.  I love both of them. It's just a shame you can't see them in real life.

But then there is this.


I never thought of not using the Lilac and yet the way these look together...I love it.  I have been thinking of these yarns for a shawl like the Color Affection  or some of the host of new shawls that use the play of colours for some rewarding results.  There are a few longtime favourites too.

However, as I was pondering and arranging yarns, after I already put my camera away, I saw this.


Maybe I need to use all four together and knit a gradient sweater?   It's a good kind of conundrum to have.


No comments: