Tuesday 29 August 2017

Making Things With Bits and Ends

Ah yes.  I mentioned a finished thing yesterday.  And indeed I did finish.  But the whole project was deserving of its own post.

Since earlier this summer, when yarn kept falling out the the box of ends, I have been knitting Monstersocks, so called because they are cobbled together from other sock yarns left over after sock knitting.  I just wanted to knit up the yarn so that the box could stay closed, but it was so much fun to do and to watch happen, that in the end, it became one of the most enjoyable things I knit so far this year.

I posted about each of these before, but as a group, they are spectacular.


The first win, out of a range of yarns with blue and oranges in them, striped with a plain black.  These are a little short and are absolutely going to need heels unless I give them to someone with very small feet.


And the greys, which have been the most exciting pair.  They were unexpected.  I thought all the grey and relatively dull colours would be a good sock, but nothing to write home about.  That yellow, so dull in comparison to many colours, popped among all the grey and made magic.


And then, the most recent finished object, the magical red socks, where I used up all the yarn.  Well on the first sock anyway. On the second, I had small bits left over of 2 colours, plus enough for heels. The second sock is the darker of the two.  It seemed as if all the balls of red were heading off to their grey sections or brownish sections.  Still the strong pop of that yellow keeps them a very very pleasing pair.  I did run out of yellow 2 rounds from the ribbing, so the red did a little pinch hitting.

I think that is it for me for Monstersocks for this year.  I do have another set of mostly blues that I could do, but the urge is gone and there is room again in the bits and ends box.  I have a few pairs on the go that I would like to finish up before starting more socks of any kind.  

Plus there are mittens to knit for Carter and Isaac and that ought to keep my urge to knit with small yarns satisfied for a while. 

No comments: