Friday 28 April 2017

Little Victories.

I have knitting.  I was sitting trying not to think yesterday morning, and I picked up something different to knit.  I picked it up because it was there, not for any reason other than that.  And you know what?  It worked.

All week, when I felt stressed, I would pick up the scarf or the sweater and it just didn't happen and I would put the knitting down.  There was no relief, no escape.

This sock was on the gusset when I set it aside for a while.  The first thing I had to do was to look carefully to re establish where I was in the decreases.  It only took seconds, but those seconds and the small bit of concentration needed to decrease every second round made me focus just enough on these pretty socks that it took me into a world where that was all the stress there was.  A world where the only thing I had to worry about was getting that simple thing accomplished in the proper time and space.  And there was no paper work to it.



It is such a little thing and yet, by the time I headed out to spend the day with my kiddies, I felt so much stronger.  I could reason the stress away.  Life won't end if this one thing doesn't work.  It is only one thing among many and there are choices. It made it bearable.

And so, in honour of that little knitting victory, that little life victory of being able to set aside something that was trolling my mind, I finished this little sock.  Now I just have another one to do, just like it, and I will have a good summer pair of shortie sandal socks for those chilly rainy days where I might want to think about digging out the other shoes.

Little victories matter.


1 comment:

Sel and Poivre said...

I agree...little victories matter a lot!