Friday 17 February 2017

I Aim To Misbehave

Over the last few days there has been a lot of not knitting.  Some knitting but much more not knitting.  A lot of time went into getting my small second bedroom organized.   For a bit there, it was the empty box room and the spare second mattress room, the furniture I did not know what to do with room, the boxes I couldn't unpack till I could get to the spare furniture storage place.   I did not want that room to become a dumping ground and it was becoming much too easy to let things lay and close the door.

Part of my work was simply to get the spinning fibre organized and to make a clean and easy path to its home is in the nice big closet.  It was becoming very important to me to get to the spinning fibre.  I have lots at hand, but I wanted to find the flyer for my Julia wheel.  I wondered if the flyer still had a bobbin of spun singles on it. I have a strong feeling I am missing one since moving from my wee house.


No, I did not.  Strong feelings can sometimes be misleading.

So, I had to sit back and submerse myself in some Jane Austen.  


This charming book was given to me at my usual spinning morning.  Frazzledknitter, you are a value beyond riches.  It's perfect.  It consoled my weary spirits while I sipped my tea.  For a book of 10 words, there is a lot to absorb!  If you haven't seen these books before, it is well worth your while to pick one up.  They are adorable.  It is probably the only way I will ever finish War and Peace.

With the settling is well in hand, I think it is time that I take a little me time.  I really need some time to play.

I spun this lovely green last fall as a bit of an experiment.


I wanted to try spinning something loftier and I wanted to try for a 3 ply.  Its been sitting here for a while now and I have to say, I am a little leery of my plying abilities.  The singles turned out very nicely and I would hate for them to be ruined by poor plying.

My goal for the weekend is to get past my small fear and ply.  If it goes well, I might have a plying party of sorts and free up all my bobbins!  If it is a really bad job, I can always take it apart again. A nasty prospect, but possible.

 I am going to prepare by watching The Gentle Art of Plying by Judith MacKenzie.  There are lots of other great videos out there, but I have this one, and there is so very much to learn from it.  There is also a good Abby Franquemont video out in the ether.  I want to watch that again too. I have a little reading to do as well.  I am hoping my spinning books will have additional hints and tips and tricks.

I am a desperate woman with time on my hands and an almost clean and organized house.   "I aim to misbehave." (Firefly, Joss Whedon)


No comments: