Monday 17 October 2016

A Library Addition

Hard Copy!

With my early arrival to fair Saskatoon,  There was plenty of time for a nice long stop at my favourite local yarn store.  No one was waiting on me.  No time pressure at all.  That was a rare gift I gave myself and I had a wonderful time.

The first thing I spotted that I knew I would be going home with was a book. Meg Swansen's  Knitting.  I came across this book at my local library years ago, but somewhere in the last 8 years, it was taken from the library.  Sad that this happens to books, but some people don't like to share.

I looked for a used copy but for a long time, all I could find was used copies for a very big price.  This copy is new and while not quite pristine (It was in the shop for a long time), it is lovely and all mine.

This was the inspiration for my first colour work sweater, a tiny baby sweater.  I think I have some posts on this blog about it, but I don't have any project post on it on Ravelry so I can't show you, but I used the colours from Meg's lovely cover sweater to pick and choose the colours for my wee sweater and did the corrugated ribbing as she does hers, with a few rows of all knitted stitches at the transitions. 

Over the years, I would go on Ravelry and look at projects knitted from it, and dream about the lovely designs, and plan how I would used the calm Lupine patterning and the vibrant Phoenix.  I dreamed about the lovely belted Saddle Sleeve Jacket.

I took the book, and then sat and we planned out a sweater from it.  I still need a good warm sweater to replace my fluffing out down coat, and even though my last try was the ultimate disaster of Romulan shoulders, I am undaunted. 

I will do a sensible Rams Horn Cardigan with it's soft variations of grays.  I won't make the shoulders quite so deep a sleeve, but otherwise, this completely patterned design will be followed other than doing what I need to do to make it fit nicely.  Its double stranded worsted weight nature should be perfect for winter when worn with my  vest (which will cut wind) for all but the very coldest of days. 

I still have to finish the sweater from Thanksgiving weekend, but then this!  It's all me time!

Or it will be soon.  I still have to work on Pole for my daughter in law, but that is such lovely easy knitting, that once I get to it, it won't be a long knit.

So on to exciting times.  Colourwork and a book that I have long admired.

No comments: